Visits resume on 16/12/2022. Groups please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can book your visit to the Observatory on the calendar below but please read the conditions carefully, including the cancellation policy.
Please note that the visits are made in accordance with the special operating conditions of the International Astrophysical Observatory and its mountain location. For this reason, the Observatory reserves the right to modify the days and times of the visits, as well as the telescope to be visited, depending on availability, or even cancellation due to works carried out at the telescopes, weather alerts or road closures due to ice/snow/landslides.
Approx duration of the visit: 1:30h-1:50h. Please also add driving time from your accommodation to the Observatory. Access roads are mountain roads.
Group activity. Beginners.
Included: Guided Visit by a Starlight guide.
Not included: Transport, stargazing, food or entrance ticket to visitor´s centre (although it is possible to purchase an entrance ticket to the centre, 50 % discount , showing your ticket to the visit Observatory. Please do check their website for further info and timetables.
Meeting point: It is on the car park for the Visitors centre for Roque de Los Muchachos. Please click here for directions and check the map. Please do not access the telescopes without your guide.
1. The Observatory is situated at 2400m in altitude. It is strongly recommended to wear warm clothing & a hat and to take water and suncream. The interior of the telescopes is kept refrigerated even during the day and also in summer.
2. Please arrive at least 10 minutes early at the meeting point. The tour departs on time and it is necessary to identify yourself to the guide before the tour starts and to receive prior instructions. If you arrive late, you may miss your tour, with no right to a refund.
3. The guide’s instructions will be followed at all times, no littering or smoking will be allowed during the visit.
4. Cancellations. Activity is subject to weather conditions, observatory operating conditions and a minimum number of 10 people apply. There may be cancellations or changes of date and time for these reasons, in which case we will inform you on the mobile phone (whatsapp) contact number/email provided in your booking. Please check your phone/email the night before and even minutes before the activity as in high mountains there can be rapid changes difficult to predict, particularly, but not exclusively, in winter time. IMPORTANT NOTE: In the event of a weather alert or pre-alert (yellow), visits will be cancelled even if the Visitor Centre is kept open and even if conditions turn out to be apparently favourable or even if the visit has already started but there is an sudden alert. With an official alert/prealert in force by the Canarian Government, the Observatory obliges us to cancel for safety reasons and insurance cover. No exceptions.
5. Age restrictions. The minimum age for visitors is 6 years old (the Observatory has established this rule for security reasons). The guide may request proof of age by means of ID card or passport. In the event of not being able to prove age, the minor must remain outside the telescope accompanied by an adult, even if the ticket has been paid for and is valid. Minors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
6. Pets are not allowed inside the premises.
7. There are no shops or restaurants at the Astrophysical Observatory. It is recommended to bring water and some food. There are more vending machines available at the Visitor Centre.
8. Please have enough fuel for the trips, at least 1/2 of the tank. There are no fuel pumps at the Observatory.
9. Important: Visitors’ health The Astrophysical Observatory is located at an altitude of 2,400 metres. It should be taken into account that the level of oxygen decreases with altitude, so it is not recommended to visit the Observatory for people with anaemia, heart disease or respiratory problems, people over 70 years of age and babies. During the visit, should you experience symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath or headache, please inform your guide immediately. ORM does not have medical assistance on site. We cannot be held responsible for any deterioration of health that may occur as a result of altitude or non-observance of our recommendations.
10. Cancellations by the client: The client may cancel their reservation with a 50% penalty up to 48 hours before the start time of the visit. Subsequently the cancellation requested by the client will not be refundable. Refunds are made exclusively through the same payment method within a maximum period of 7 working days.
More info on FAQ en https://lapalmastars.com/info/faqs/