Advanced Nightscape Photography & timelapse in La Palma – Canary Islands with Babak Tafreshi (TWAN and National Geographic).
7-day landscape astrophotography workshop including trips to various parts of La Palma.
Dates: 3 – 10 Oct 2021 (9th edition).
An opportunity to join a world-leading astrophotographer Babak Tafreshi (TWAN and National Geographic) for a 7-day intensive workshop covering landscape astrophotography, image processing & timelapse techniques. The program will include trips to various parts of the island including the European Northern Observatory. Aimed at photographers & astronomers with some experience on photo processing & timelapse.
Astrolapalma S.L.U. (www.lapalmastars.com) Leader in La Palma for astronomy services for amateurs and general public, in collaboration with The world at night program which joins international astrophotographers in promoting stunning nightscape photos and time-lapse videos of the world.
With the participation of Babak Tafreshi
The founder & leader of The World at Night (TWAN) program and a National Geographic photographer based in Boston (US), specialized in nightscape and timelapse imaging, connecting the Earth and sky, bridging art and science. More of his photography on TWAN Photo Gallery, National Geographic & biography.
Scheduled in 7 full intensive days (and nights), the AstroMaster workshop will train participants into many topics including:
- Definition of Nightscape Photography
- Best cameras, lenses, and accessories for low-light imaging
- Preparation, how to apply the latest tips and apps for planning your nightscape images
- Best celestial events and targets to photograph and when, where and how to shoot them
- From short exposure Milky Way and constellation images to long exposure star trails
- Using portable star trackers for deeper nightscape and astroimages
- How to use natural and artificial lights at night, from the moonlight to light-painting techniques
- Creating Panoramas, All-Sky images and Virtual Realities
- Creating timelapse videos of sky motion and night-day transitions
- Processing images and photo sequences in Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, Adobe Premiere and LRTimelapse.
On site instruction will include what to shoot, selecting composition, camera settings and lens selection. Detailed schedule will be emailed to those interested.
Los Cancajos, Breña Baja, La Palma (Canary Islands, Spain). Full address and detailed info about logistics will be given after registration.
AstroMaster La Palma 2021 edition. Registration for participants
Dates: 3 -10 Oct 2021.
For best performance at the AstroMaster workshop, participants need to bring to La Palma the following:
- At least one Digital SLR camera or an equivalent mirrorless camera with long exposure and high ISO imaging capabilities with acceptable noise at ISO 1600-3200.
- At least one wide angle lens in the range of 10mm to 24mm, best to be a fast optical system of f2.8 or better.
- A solid tripod is essential for night photography, specially on a windy night at the edge of La Palma crater.
- Extra batteries and memory cards
- Shutter release cable or intervalometer for timelapse imaging
LR Timelapse licenses will be provided for the duration of the workshop free of charge.
- Personal laptop with Photoshop or Lightroom. If needed the LRTimelapse license will be provided for the duration of the workshop free of charge.
- Hiking shoes and warm wind-proof Clothing. Temperatures can drop dramatically on top of the caldera due to the altitude of over 2400m (~ 8000 ft).
- Red headlight (no bright white light please!).
- Small notebook and pen for notes
- Sleeping Bag and inflatable mattress is a suggested optional equipment to rest during practical sessions. The alternative is to rest in the car.
- Beeing able to stay on high altitude (2450 m) for a while
Although the schedule of the 7-day workshop is quite intensive, there is enough time to enjoy the wonderful nature of La Palma. We have designed a full package while on La Palma so participants can focus on lectures & practical sessions while the workshop offers theoretical and practical sessions, meals, transportation, etc. Participants should arrive on the 3rd Oct (morning or before) and workhop will end on early morning 10th Oct. Participants may leave on 10th October.
PRICE for the package is: 1850 Euros* (10% discount to past participants).
- Course Fees
- Accommodation at the Observatory*(see below)
- 4-6 Photo shooting excursions (practical sessions are weather permitting)
- Over 30 hours of theoretical sessions
- Visit to the Observatory at El Roque de Los Muchachos.
- Hot beverages and snacks at photo sessions
- Transport for practical sessions from/to meeting point in Los Cancajos (not from your accommodation)
- Insurance, tax & assistance**
*Course fees do not include accommodation for the workshop except for the stay at the Observatory if granted in which case it will be covered by us. We are currently negotiating permissions for accommodation near the Observatory facilities . Accommodation there is very limited and if granted, participants will share large dormitories (shared by gender). Couples may share a double room with a 100 EUR extra, but this is not guaranteed). Please notice that travel to the photoshooting sites can be tiring and that you should book accommodation near or at Los Cancajos area where we will be holding the theoretical lessons. Detailed information about this will be provided in due course. Also you will be asked to provide dietary requirements later. Past participants have a reduced fee.
**European Participants are strongly advised to travel to La Palma with a valid European medical card. The Insurance will cover participants while in La Palma only (accident related to workshop). Participants are strongly adviced to get a suitable travel insurance from and to your place of origin and during workshop. Please notify any food allergies and altitude sickness.
Family and friends
If you have members of your family and friends accompany you on this trip but not attending the workshop, please inform us in advance in case they wish to join any of the night sessions or meals. Logistics need to be arranged ahead of time for transportation, bookings, and permits. There will be an extra fee in that case to cover the expenses depending on your request. Please notice that this in any case, companions will have to accommodate to the schedule and conditions. Unfortunately, companions cannot participate on the activities at the Observatory.
OPEN for REGISTRATION: 14th April 2020
Steps for registration.
Step 2. For full registration please fill the following form (note that you will be asked for a 300 EUR deposit on this step): Registration for AstroMaster La Palma 2021. **
Step 3. Wait for email confirmation after payment. After this step you may book your flights. We always recommend you to acquire flexible (refundable) tickets in case of changes. On previous editions, there have been participants who had decided to stay onwards on the island (as they´d liked it so much), while others have to leave early or had to cancel altogether.
Step 4. Stay tuned for information emails and start getting your gear ready. If you need to purchase batteries, memory cards and so on, do not leave this until the end and please do not expect to get them in La Palma. You will be asked about your previous experience in photography/astronomy before the workshop.
Step 5. Full payment will be required at the stage via an email sent to you with bank or credit card details. To keep your placement this will have to be done before 1st February. Enrollments after 1st February will have to be payed in full on step 2 (full course fees).
Step 6. Invoices will be sent on request for those claiming expenses.
Cancellations. We understand that your plans may change after registration. You may cancel with no fee before 1st July 2021 without penalty and your deposit will be fully refunded. Between 1st Jul to 31st Jul the cancellation fee is 300 EUR (345 US dollars approx. depending on exchange rate). Withdrawal from the program after 1st August will result in forfeiture of 60% of the workshop total fee. There are no refunds if you withdraw within one month of the workshop start date. Please note that if the workshop is cancelled due to a natural calamity, epidemic, or other rare unexpected occasions, you will be fully refunded (minus bank fees). We are not responsible for reimbursement of airline tickets or non-refundable hotel bookings. Your trip cancellation plan/travel insurance (if you have purchased one) should cover this. In case of severe illness/accident of the instructor, we will notify you and we will substitute him by another photographer at TWAN. If this is short notice and it is not possible to rearrange and we are forced to cancel you will be fully refunded. Minimum number of participants is 7.