Visits to the Observatory in La Palma
Visitas to the Observatory in La Palma (Observatorio del Roque de Los Muchachos) or else stargazing (astronomy tour) in La Palma are probably one of the key activities for those visiting the island of La Palma. After all, the island is a Dark Reserve (Starlight, UNESCO) that protects the quality and darkness of its sky.
General Condicions for visits to the Observatory:
Please read carefully.
After more than two years of suspended visits due to the covid pandemic, it is expected visits reopen in summer 2022. We will add the new conditions and dates as soon as we have the final official communication.
Guided Visits are in the morning only. Limited numbers.
- Visits to Observatorio del Roque de Los Muchachos show the instalations including the interior of one of the profesional telescopes.
- Visits are only allowed for those over 6 years of age. If you are over 70 years old, please consult your doctor before the visit. The altitude of the observatory exceeds 2000m.
- Booking in advance is strongly recommended previa es imprescindible (info, details a booking below).
- If there are no places available: the website will read „This activity is not available“. You may add your name to a waiting list here.
- Visits do not include stargazing. Stargazing for the general public is organised outside the observatory at astronomical viewpoints around the island. Book here: Astronomy tours.
- Visits are weather permitting (please read condicions carefully).
- Telescopes that could be visited are Gran Telescopio de Canarias, William Herschel Telescope o Telescopio Nazionale Galileo.